Healthy Recipe, Beef Pozole
- 2 pounds lean beef (eye round roast), cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1 can (15 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 can (2 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (1 pound, 13 ounces) hominy
- In a large pot, heat oil. Saute beef.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add hominy and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Variation: Skinless, boneless chicken breasts may be used instead of beef cubes.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Total Fat, 10g
Saturated Fat, 3
Cholesterol Sodium, 52mg
Total Fiber, 4g
From National Institutes of Health, Heart Healthy Latino Recipes