21 May 2019
Healthy Recipe, Country Potato Salad
This updated picnic potato salad gets subtle flavor from smoked ham. If you can find them, small, thin-skinned early potatoes are best in this salad.
- 2 pounds small potatoes, preferably heirloom
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 ounces smoked ham, sliced into strips
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or dill
- ¾ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip), peeled and coarsely chopped
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until just tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on their size. Drain and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, taste a bit of potato skin—if it’s bitter or tough, peel the potatoes. Otherwise, leave the skins on. Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and put them in a large salad bowl.
- Add celery, ham, parsley, chives (or scallions) and mint (or dill) to the potatoes. Toss to combine. Add buttermilk, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Gently stir in chopped egg. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- Makes 8 servings. Serving size: about 1 cup
- Per serving: 137 calories; 4 g fat(1 g sat); 2 g fiber; 20 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 36 mcg folate; 51 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 361 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 35 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 282 mg sodium; 614 mg potassium