Healthy Recipe, Spice Rubbed Salmon with Pomegranate Raita
This is a delicious way to get your Omega 3’s. This entrée uses traditional Indian spices to play off the richness of the salmon, and the pomegranate raita adds a coolness, making for a lovely contrast.
- 2¼ tsp. caraway seeds
- 2¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1½ tablespoons ancho chili powder
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (5 oz.) or 1½ lbs. salmon filets
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- ⅛ cup minced scallions (about 2)
- 1½ tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a small skillet, toast the caraway and cumin seeds over moderate heat, until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer the caraway and cumin seeds to a blender, food processor, or a mortar and pestle. Let the seeds cool then add the chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Brush the fish with olive oil. Rub fish with spice mixture, creating a paste. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Place fish on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet in preheated oven. Roast fish for about 7-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet, until just opaque and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, cilantro, mint, scallions and lemon juice. Gently fold in pomegranate seeds. Season to taste.
- Transfer the fish to a platter. Top each piece with 1 Tbsp. of raita. Serve remaining raita on the side.
315 calories per serving
From the California Health and Longevity Institute