Ceviche is incredibly delicious and flavorful. Its ingredients are healthy. You can’t go wrong. Ceviche is a dish of seafood that’s been cured in citrus juice. Onions, garlic and cilantro are generally added to enhance the flavor, along with tomatoes and regional veggies. From Fit Men Cook.
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1 1/4 lb raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Broth (Tiger’s Milk)
- 2/3 cup (about 6 limes) fresh lime juice (or more/less to taste)
- juice from 2 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Substitute: ketchup, tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 green (or colorful) bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped leaves
- Bring a large pot of salt water to a boil. Toss in the raw shrimp and cook for no more than 2 minutes, or until the shrimp is white, pink and plump. Immediately remove the shrimp from the boiling water using a spider or a slotted spoon and plunge the shrimp into a large bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking.
- Mix together fresh ingredients for the broth and set aside to let the flavors meld. Feel free to customize it to your liking.
- Add all of the ceviche ingredients to a large bowl. Chop up the shrimp into smaller pieces, about 1/2-inch (or cut each shrimp into 3 equal parts), then add it to the large bowl.
- Fold everything together gently using a wooden spoon, then pour in the sauce and gently fold everything together again.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then store in the fridge for at least 2 hours; but, you can enjoy it sooner, after about 30 minutes so the flavors can meld together and so the citrus juice can remove the “bite” from the onion.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper and enjoy!
172 calories, 17g protein, 14g carbs, 7g fat, 4g fiber, 5g sugar