This tropical-inspired dish is gently spiced for a rich flavor. One of the “Deliciously Healthy Dinners” from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper rinsed and diced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ( 15 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans (or beans of your choice) drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup instant brown rice uncooked ( or partially cooked regular white or brown rice)
- Sauté onion and green pepper in oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and beans (including liquid from both), as well as oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Finish the meal with delicious tropical fruit, such as mangoes, papayas, or pineapple.
185 calories, 1g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 7g fiber, 7g protein, 37g carbohydrates, 292mg potassium