Chicken Pita Sandwiches with Harissa Sauce
Serve these lemon-oregano chicken pitas with lots of fixings tucked in, but you could ditch the pita and serve it all over cooked Bulgar, cauliflower rice or a bed of greens. From EatingWell.
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons grated garlic, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 8 whole-wheat pitas, warmed if desired
- Shredded romaine, diced tomatoes & slivered red onion for serving
Combine lemon zest and juice, cumin, oregano, 2 teaspoons garlic, allspice and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cook on Low for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, whisk tahini, water, harissa, the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Shred the chicken and toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the juices from the slow cooker and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve the chicken in pitas with the sauce and lettuce, tomato and onion, if desired.
530 calories; 19.8g total fat; 4.4g saturated fat; 113mg cholesterol; 670mg sodium. 432mg potassium; 48.6g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 3g sugar; 41.5g protein