6 – Energy-Boosting Heart Healthy Habits
You might be all too familiar with the routine — standing in front of the mirror, poking and prodding your “problem areas,” setting goals to lose more weight.
Too often we focus on the outward effects of weight loss and overlook the impact on the inside, but it is just as important, if not more.
The extra weight you carry around can influence more than just your physical appearance — it can deeply affect your health as well. Those additional pounds can create more work for your heart, raise your blood pressure, slow you down, and drain you of energy. But some healthy adjustments can help reverse the negative effects.
It’s never too late to factor in new lifestyle changes and set attainable weight-loss goals. You’ll be surprised what a difference a few simple habits can make. Healthier living can help you feel more relaxed and energized — not to mention it could also help you shed a few pounds.
Here are a couple healthy habits that could boost your energy levels and help you stay heart smart:
- Wet your whistle — Drinking plenty of water helps you avoid dehydration, overeating, and the afternoon drowsy period, plus you’ll feel more energized.
- Eat healthy meals and snacks — be sure to eat smaller meals more frequently and always pack healthy snacks, such as a bag of your favourite nuts, fruits, or vegetables. Prepare for the week on the weekends or your days off so you make better decisions throughout the week.
- Take it easy — Stress can cause unnecessary pressure on your heart and deplete energy providing nutrients in the body. Relax, simplify your schedule, and learn how to fight stress in a healthy way, such as exercising, laughter or meditating.
- Get moving — Physical activity can improve your mood, increase your energy, alleviate stress, and help you drop those extra pounds. Find a form of exercise you enjoy, such as biking, swimming, or running, and make a workout schedule you can stick to. Moderate exercise is fine, you don’t have to be an athlete just move and get the heart rate up a little.
- Get your Zzzz’s — Sleep plays a key role in weight loss, and it can also help your heart, decrease stress levels, and increase your energy. A great book on getting better sleep and living in a healthier environment is The Healthy Home buy Dr, Myron Wenz and Dave Wentz.
- Take your Supplements – Good quality Supplements can fill in the nutrition gaps in your diet and give you the extra boost you need to get through the day, your workout, extra hours at work, daily stresses etc. (www.healthyoutlook.usana.com)
Start developing heart-healthy habits today and feel the difference inside and out!