Healthy Recipe, Shrimp and Grits
Parmesan cheese gives these creamy grits loads of flavor without the added fat and calories of butter and cream. The shrimp are cooked simply with chicken stock, olive oil, and two cups of healthy spinach.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Creamy Shrimp Sauce:
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (4 1/50 count)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh baby spinach
Prepare Parmesan Grits: Bring 1/2 tsp. salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in cheese and pepper. Keep warm.
Prepare Creamy Shrimp Sauce: Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and 1/8 tsp. salt. Cook in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add oil; heat 30 seconds. Whisk in flour; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in broth and next 5 ingredients; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in shrimp and spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach is slightly wilted. Serve immediately over grits.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes 1/2 cup grits and about 1/3 cup sauce.
- Calories 235
- Fat 6.1g
- Protein 19.1g
- Carbohydrate 25.2g
- Fiber 1.4g
- Cholesterol 118.7mg
- Sodium 749mg
- Calcium 177mg
From Southern Living