Lemony Green Bean Pasta Salad
Full of bright flavors and textures, this summery dish would be ideal for a picnic or luncheon.
Make Ahead: The cooked pasta and green beans can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. From the Washington Post.
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more as needed
- 12 ounces dried penne, casarecce or other tubular pasta
- 8 ounces green beans (preferably thin haricots verts), trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted salted pistachios, plus whole roasted, salted pistachios, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (may substitute sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot (from 1 small lobe)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to boil over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, adding the green beans to the water during the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking time (2 minutes if the beans are thin and 3 minutes if they are thicker). Drain the pasta and beans, then rinse under cool running water. Drain again, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the thyme and 3 teaspoons of the lemon zest to the bowl; toss gently to incorporate.
- Whisk together the chopped pistachios, vinegar, shallot, garlic, the remaining 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper in a medium bowl. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended. Taste, and add more salt and pepper as needed. Drizzle over the pasta mixture. Add the arugula, and toss gently to coat.
- To serve, transfer to a platter or divide among individual plates, garnish with the whole pistachios and the cheese, if using, and serve.
Calories per serving: 360; Total fat, 15g; sat fat, 2g, cholesterol, 0mg; sodium, 300mg; carbohydrates, 48g; fiber, 3g; sugar, 4g; protein, 9g